Sunday 29 January 2012

Wanting...............

What is it with us human beings that we want what we can't really have or don't really need?

We're funny buggers - for some reason, known only to my whim's I want an ipad 2 - I have no idea what more it will give me than what my laptop and i-phone already give me - but nevertheless it's shiny and pretty and I want one.

But I don't need it..... and therefore, whilst I'd enjoy playing with a new toy for a while I suspect that my interest in it will soon wane and it will either get sold on or sit neglected in the corner of my room.

That's the other thing about us humans, we employ this wanting on our fellow human beings. We see someone we like the look of or that we've known and we build up fantasies and illusions that make us want them, yearn for them, believe that we love them.

I've been the subject of someone's wanting in recent years, pushed and pulled and persuaded until I believed. There's one thing for sure, when someone wants you the best way you can test whether or not they really mean it - is to give them what they want.

I did, and watched that person run away with comedic speed. I'd like to say it didn't hurt - but of course it did.

I know that I have and am learning lessons from the experience, it brings another of my favourite quotes to mind:

"I wish I had arrived at where I am going and had made my discovery. Then perhaps I might be capable of carrying the burden of someone else's happiness and complement their existence by making it happy and complete." Richard Beckinsale.

This living thing, I am discovering, is a journey, whilst on this journey I am trying to live and learn and grow - then eventually I hope one day to arrive at where I am going........

No comments:

Post a Comment